Are you aware of the successful launch in March of cellphone-based distance learning in Kenya, the mLearning Project of our Global Technology office? A friend explained to me some of the challenges they faced.
- A phone was available just months before the launch that is affordable for Africans ( about $100). Almost none of the students had seen or used a touch screen phone prior to starting this class, but almost all students learned to use them within a couple hours.
- Larger capacity memory cards were ordered to handle the file sizes for the video lectures (multiple GBs).
- A SMS-based student messaging system was custom-developed for this project.
To contact someone about mLearning, write mlearning at ccci dot org.
- How Does “Mobile Seminary” Work?
- A Business Daily article about the project: Attaining University Degree Is Now Just a Smartphone Away
- For the most up-to-date information, check the posts dated from March 2011 and later at http://technology.ccci.org/category/project-activity/project-mlearning/