If you or your ministry uses YouTube, I recommend recent research posted by Cru’s Indigitous.org. Some key findings in the research includes:
- Length matters (1’59” maximum)
- Make your video interesting*
- Color matters – color is emotion*
- YELLOW optimism, clarity, warmth
- ORANGE friendly, cheerful, coincidence
- RED excitement, youthful, bold
- PURPLE creative, imaginative, wise
- BLUE trust, dependable, strength
- GREEN peaceful, growth, health
- GREY-WHITE balance, calm
- Establish your audience (See NOTES about personas)*
- Create a catchy headline of no more than 140 characters
- Offer a maximum of three major benefits to the viewer
- Support the benefits with:
- short stories,
- examples, or
- Show enthusiasm*
- Look for opportunities to use humor*
- Close with a clear call to action
A number of these points would work for other forms of video ministry. I used an asterisk to mark the points that could possibly be used for Instagram, Snapchat and Vine videos.
- See the entire Indigitous article at Making YouTube work for you.
- A persona is a fictional character that represents the majority of your audience for your website, social media feed or other online ministry.
- Learn more about personas from Indigitous.