This guest post on how to reach the unreached for $12 on Facebook is by Laura Krokos.
Have you heard of the 10/40 window? It’s the section of the world where 90% of the unreached people groups live, yet only 1 out of 99 missionaries go there.
I was thinking of more ways social media can be used to get the Gospel to these unreached groups so I decided to experiment.
I placed an ad on Facebook for two days pointed solely to the cities in India where the Ansari people live, a group of over 10 million people where there is not one known believer. (India’s people have more mobile phones with access to the Internet than they do toilets!) The ad was in Urdu, their language, and directed them to an article on GotQuestions.org, an evangelistic website. In two days, 90 (most likely Ansari) people clicked on the ad and got to read the gospel in their language. The most shocking thing is that the cost to reach them was not the cost of a few-thousand-dollar plane ticket and years learning the language, it was $12 and a total of 20-30 minutes!
Imagine how many unreached people groups you could reach with a few hundred dollars!? Imagine if even just a handful of women regularly took steps of faith to steward their resources, including Facebook, to reach the world for Christ? The opportunity to see the world reached for Jesus in our lifetime is at hand, friends.
Do you want to try reaching an unreached people group through Facebook? Here’s how:
- Pray and ask God to lead you through this whole process.
- Pick an unreached people group you want to reach by going to JoshuaProject.net
- Find out what language they speak.
- Find a evangelistic website or tool in their language. You can do this in a couple different ways:
- Click on the language directly underneath the language tab from the unreached people group you picked on JoshuaProject.net and then click on the different tabs and explore available resources in that language.
- Google “evangelistic websites” in the language you’re looking for. A good thing to keep in mind when picking a site is,you want a site that clearly shares the gospel and offers some sort of discipleship material if they do surrender their life to Jesus.
- Once you found the specific article, video, or website you want to make use for your ad, copy the URL and head over to Facebook advertising and click Create an Ad and sign in.
- Paste the URL where it says Choose a Facebook Destination or Enter URL and hit Enter
- Click Suggest an Ad
- Click Upload an Image. Pick an eye-catching photo even if it isn’t really related.
- On the Facebook ads page, scroll down and you’ll see where it says Choose Your Audience. 10. (This is the most important part.) Go back to Joshua Project to the unreached people group you picked and look at a map to determine what city the majority of them live in. You might have to open www.google.com/maps to help you identify the exact city. Once you’ve identified the city (or cities), click City under location and then type those cities into Choose your Audience.
- Scroll down to where it says, Campaign, Pricing and Schedule. Give the campaign a name (whatever you’d like).
- Pick your campaign budget. What is your final cost that you’re willing to pay?
- Click the button where it says Cost per Thousand Impressions.
- Look at the Suggested Bid on the right of your screen and put the minimum amount in the Cost per Thousand Impressions box.
- Click Place order.
Facebook will keep you updated on the ad’s reach and how many people saw and clicked on it.
It might be neat to let people know on Facebook what you just did and ask them to be praying for the people group. Feel free to share this how-to so we can reach more unreached people with the gospel.
If you try this outreach, please share your story!
Laura is a social media enthusiast and continually amazed at the potential it has to reach people for Christ. She loves her vibrant city of Denver where she lives with her husband and four kids, two of whom are adopted. She has ministered to college students for 11 years and now serves as the staff women’s development coordinator with Master Plan Ministries, an affiliate ministry of CRU. She is the creator of MissionalWomen.com and is an award winning author of three books including a 12 week Bible Study on First Samuel, Beholding Him, Becoming Missional, A Devotional Journey through Judges and Reach; How to Use Your Social Media Influence for the Glory of God.
- Map source: http://www.grace4japan.com/2010/07/10-40-window.html
- Permission to post an edited version given by Laura Krokos.
The original work by Laura Krokos, Using Facebook to Reach an Unreached People Group, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.